A. Course Description
Thomas the Apostle is believed to have spread Christianity to the East as Paul the Apostle spread Christianity to the West. Thomas or his disciples evangelized the Syrians, Chaldeans, and eventually the Indians. It was later through the Nestorian Christians of Persia that Christianity in the 7C was extended to China. In the 13C and 14C Franciscans and Dominicans renewed the gospel message in Asia. Francis Xavier, Matteo Ricci, and Robert di Nobili in the modern period renewed Asian Christianity. Despite persecution in the 18C and 19C, Christian Churches emerged strongly in the 20C until driven underground in 1949 by the Communist Parties of China, Vietnam, and North Korea. Philip Jenkins sums up Christianity in Asia: “We can’t understand Christian history without Asia – or, indeed, Asian history without Christianity.”
- Amaladoss SJ, Michael. The Asian Jesus. Delhi: IDCR/ISPCK, 2005.
- Life in Freedom: Liberation Theologies from Asia. Maryknoll: Orbis, 1997.
- Baumer, Christoph. The Church of the East: An Illustrated History of Assyrian Christianity. London: I.B. Tauris, 2006.
- Brown, Peter. The Making of Late Antiquity. Cambridge MA: Harvard UP, 1978.
- The Rise of Western Christendom: triumph and diversity, A.D. 200-1000. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishers, 2003. 2nd ed.
- Charbonnier, Jean-Pierre. Christians in China, AD 600-2000, by M. N. L. Couve de Murville. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2007.
- Clossey, Luke. Salvation and Globalization in the Early Jesuit Missions. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Fox, Thomas C. Pentecost in Asia: A New Way of Being Church. Maryknoll NY: Orbis, 2003.
- Gillman, Ian and Hans-Joachim Klimkeit. Christians in Asian Before 1500. Ann Arbor MI: University of Michigan Press, 1999.
- Herrin, Judith. The Formation of Christendom. Oxford: Blackwell, 1987.
- Jenkins, Philip. The Lost History of Christianity: The Thousand-Year Golden Age of the Church in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia – and How It Died. NY: HarperCollins, 2008.
- Hourani, Albert. A History of the Arab Peoples. London: Faber & Faber, 1991.
- Kaegi, Walter E. Byzantium and Early Islamic Conquests. Cambridge UP, 1992.
- Koschorke, Klaus, Ludwig Frieder, and Mariano Delgado, eds. A History of Christianity in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, 1450-1990: A Documentary Sourcebook. Grand Rapids MI: William B. Eerdmans, 2007.
- Leonard, Fernando and G. Gispert-Sauch. Christianity in India: Two Thousand Years of Faith. Mumbai, Penguin, 2004.
- MacCulloch, Diarmaid. A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years. London ; New York: Allen Lane/Penguin Books, 2009.
- Moffett, Samuel Hugh. A History of Christianity in Asia. Maryknoll NY: Orbis, 2000. 2 vols.
- Murphey, Rhoads. A History of Asia, 6th New York: Pearson Longman, 2009.
- Neill, Stephen. A History of Christian Missions. Penguin Books, 1990.
- Phan, Phát Huôn. History of the Catholic Church in Viêt Nam, 1533-1960. Long Beach, CA: 2000.
- Phan, Peter C. Mission and Catechesis: Alexandre de Rhodes & Inculturation in Seventeenth Century Vietnam. Maryknoll NY: Orbis, 1998.
- Sunquist, Scott W., David Wu Chu Sing, and John Chew Hiang Chea, eds. Dictionary of Asian Christianity. Grand Rapids MI: Eerdmans, 2001.
- Tan, Jonathan Y. Introducing Asian American Theologies. Maryknoll NY: Orbis, 2008.
- Tesoro, Dindo Rei M. & Joselito Alviar Jose, The Rise of Filipino Theology. Paasay City, Philippines: Paulines, 2004.
- Ye’or, Bat. The Decline of Eastern Christianity: From Jihad to Dhimmitude. Cranbury, Farleight Dickinson/Associated University Presses, 1996.
C. Course Evaluation
Not yet been specified